A Swiss ‘Nicole Frères’ cylinder music box, circa 1870
The spring driven mechanism is signed NICOLE FRERES A GENEVE and 41723. It plays one of six airs with a 28 cm. cylinder on a fine toothed comb signed Nicole Freres. On the left of the mechanism is a fixed winding lever, on the right there are the three operating levers. One for change/repeat of the melody, one for play/stop playing, one for instant stop playing. The lid of the box is veneered with rosewood and has a central marquetry panel with flowers. On the inside of the lid is the tune sheet which is identically signed and numbered. The airs are;
- Marche, op. Africaine by Meyerbeer.
- Erase moi tonnerre, op. Africaine by Meyerbeer.
- Scene du Maneenilles, op. Africaine by Meyerbeer.
- No no undrai, La Traviata by Verdi.
- Faust Valse by Gounod.
- Fanfare, Faust by Gounod.
This fine mechanical instrument plays very well and clear. Play the videos and hear for yourself.