A Swiss thuja George Baker & Co. cylinder music box, circa 1890
spring driven mechanism with fixed winding handle playing 1 of 8 airs with a 28-cm cylinder on a single comb as listed on the tunesheet, levers for stop/start and change/repeat, tune indicator, labeled on the inside for Geo. Baker & Co. ( late G. Baker-Troll & Co.) Manufacturers Geneva, Switzerland, rectangular box with ebonized borders and burr thuja veneer to the front and lid,
- Cavalleria Rusticana, intermezzo, Mascagni
- Cavalleria Rusticana, Duo, Mascagni
- Rigoletto, la donna e mobile, Verdi
- Dorothy, Waltz, Cellier
- Stephany, Gavotte, Czibulka
- Lucia di Lammermoor, O bel ange, Donizetti
- Lohengrin, Bruidsmars, Wagner
- Over Stick and stone, Galop, Strauss
The firm of George Baker and Samuel Troll made fine music boxes from about 1873 in Geneva. They also made boxes independent of each other. This fine and clear playing music box with its recognizable programme is a joy to the ear.
(Height) 18 cm (Width) 53 cm (Depth) 24 cm
(Height) 7.1 in (Width) 20.9 in (Depth) 9.4 in
George Baker & Co.